Esplanade Reconstruction Update: Due to circumstances beyond the university’s control, the Esplanade will be closed between 64th Street and 68th Street effective immediately to accommodate an unavoidable change in construction plans that requires crane operation over this portion of the path. This work will be completed during the winter to minimize the impact on pedestrians and the Esplanade will be reopened on or about April 16, 2018.
Several projects related to the construction of the new Stavros Niarchos Foundation–David Rockefeller River Campus are scheduled for this week.
Week of November 20, 2017
• Flexner Hall: Minimal work in Staircase D will continue this week, with low levels of noise.
• Gasser Hall: Roof replacement work will produce intermittent period of moderate to high noise. In order to limit excess odors and smoke, hot work will be scheduled on the weekend only. Please note access to the roof through the second floor remains restricted.
• Hospital Building: Finishing work on Level 1 continues this week. Additional work on Levels 2, B, C, and D, including drilling and chopping, will continue. Access to levels below A in Staircase E will remain restricted. This will not affect any fire egress plans. On Friday, November 24 and Saturday, November 25, the stair will be closed except for emergencies as Turner crews install structural brackets. Material deliveries and debris removal will take place on most days between 4:30 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. via the marble pathway. The compressor will also continue operating from the Hospital Circle, producing noise and possible odors.
• Nurses Residence: Work, including demolition on Levels B and C, chopping, drilling, and plumbing rerouting, will take place throughout the week at all times, with high noise levels. Work on the roof may cause tar odors.
• River Building, Hospital Circle, and Flexner Circle: Work in both circles, including excavations, cutting through schist walls, and pouring foundations and slabs, will continue throughout the week at all times, with high noise levels.
- Flexner Circle: Flexner Circle remains closed to all traffic, except emergency vehicles. The crane will remain in place through November. Occupants of the 5th and 6th floors of Founder's Hall will be briefly affected by crane operations. Offices on the northwest corner of the 5th floor will be asked to temporarily vacate their offices in 15 minute intervals. During these crane lifts, Turner personnel will be present on both floors to offer directions. The pedestrian walkway between Flexner Hall and Founder's Hall will be closed while the crane is in operation.
- Hospital Circle: The Hospital Circle remains closed to all traffic, except emergency vehicles. The ADA wheelchair ramp at Nurses Residence has been reopened and access will be granted for special situations at the discretion of safety personnel. The south pedestrian connector between Nurses Residence and Founder's Hall remains closed. Use the marble path for pedestrian access to the main entrance to the hospital and to Nurses Residence. For wheelchair or emergency access to the hospital and Nurses Residence, use the marble path to Hospital Level A. For access on weekends and holidays, ask Security personnel for assistance.
• Smith Hall Annex: Work on Levels C and D, including demolition, chopping, and drilling, will take place Monday–Saturday between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m., with intermittent, high noise levels. Repair work in the atrium will also continue through the end of the month. Work on the roof may cause tar odors.
• Welch Hall: Construction activities on Level B will take place Monday–Saturday between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m., with intermittent, high noise levels. Construction work will continue in the food services area adjacent to the pedestrian tunnel and outside of the Audubon Room. High levels of noise are expected. The work will not be performed when the Great Room or Audubon Room is occupied.